Solitaire is a popular traditional card game that has been around since time immemorial. Over the years, the game has evolved and hundreds of variants of the game have emerged from different parts of the world.
One of the most popular versions of the solitaire game is golf solitaire. Just like other card games, you use a standard deck of 52 cards to play this game. You can use a traditional card deck or opt for something innovative; Certain solitaire game play online allows you to customize the front and back of your cards. Read on to learn more about this unique variant of the classic game of solitaire.
The objective of golf solitaire is to build a waste pile sequentially from ace to king or vice versa. Just as you challenge yourself to finish with as few strokes as possible on a golf course to achieve a lower score, you challenge yourself in golf solitaire to complete the game with the quickest possible plays.
The layout of the game consists of seven tableau columns with 5 face-up cards in each of them. The player takes the top card from the pile to begin the game and places it face-up next to the stockpile. This becomes the top card in the waste pile.
You need to move revealed cards from the bottom rows of each of the tableau columns on top of the waste pile. To do so, the revealed cards simply need to be at least one value lower or higher than the topmost card in the waste pile. In this version of solitaire, aces can be considered the highest or lowest value card.
Eventually, there may be no more playable cards left on the tableau. This is likely to happen when there are only a few cards remaining in the tableau columns. At this point, an additional card is taken from the stockpile. This new card forms the top card in the waste pile. The game continues until either all the cards in the tableau columns have all been moved to the waste pile or if the stockpile is exhausted and there are no more playable moves left.
- All building is carried out on the single waste pile. A single, revealed card from one of the seven columns may be transferred to the waste pile if it follows either an ascending or descending sequence with the top card in the waste pile, regardless of suit.
- The revealed card at the bottom of each tableau column is available for play. Once that card is removed, the card placed below the removed card becomes available to play.
- The cards’ ranking is A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, J, Q, K, and vice versa. Turning the corners is allowed in the variant so that a king can be moved over an ace and vice versa.
- In case of no possible moves, turn cards up one at a time from the stockpile to move them to the waste pile and continue playing with the cards in the tableau columns.
- When the stock is exhausted and no more building can occur, the game is over.
- Spit: This is a multiplayer solitaire game that is played until all the players’ cards get exhausted. Two players can play this game like a round of golf. The one who finishes in the least number of plays wins the game.
With different versions and variations of this classic game, solitaire has managed to maintain its popularity across generations around the globe. Looking to make the most of the audience’s appreciation for solitaire, many game developers like Solitaire Gold have come up with their own versions of the game. These online platforms allow players to play for real cash and other exciting prizes. So what are you waiting for? Go for a solitaire game download on your smartphone today and start playing the game right away! Happy gaming!